Portugal is well known for its rich culinary heritage, and although its many Michelin-starred restaurants are a demonstration to the country’s distinction in the culinary arts – these are rarely mentioned when individuals talk about visiting the Algarve.
Similar to us here Regency Luxury Property with our private listings, the locals like to keep their luxurious eateries undisclosed – ensuring only their close confidantes are let in on the secret.
Lucky for you, we are here to spill the beans and have picked out some of our local favorites below:
- Ocean Restaurant – two Michelin-starred, located in Porches and set to reopen on the 1st of March 2023.
Well known for its pioneering seafood dishes, Austrian-born chef Hans Neuner uses the freshest local ingredients to take diners through a global journey of his favorite cuisines. Beginning in Portugal, sailing through Cape Verde and other African territories and landing on the coast of India, in Goa, this menu justly creates a dining experience which is sure to excite your palate.
- Restaurant – Vila Joya – two Michelin-starred, located in Gale, Albufeira.
Offering an experience surrounded by stunning sea views in an exceptional setting, Chef Dieter Koschina has created a remarkable dining scene. His reimagining of Central European traditional cuisine, with flawless flavor combinations, ensures Vila Joya as being a foodie’s paradise. One you do not want to miss!
- Gusto – one Michelin-star, located in Quinta do Lago within the luxurious Conrad Hotel. Gusto carries the sophisticated and striking interior of the hotel through to the dining area. Led by the acclaimed German chef Heinz Beck, his Algarvian restaurant follows a similar cooking style to his three Michelin-starred La Pergola in Rome. Using highlights of Mediterranean origins with Italian inspirations, Beck ensures that traditional roots are kept whilst contemporary techniques are incorporated.
- A Ver Tavira – one Michelin-star, located in Tavira.
A warm and inviting ambiance, with spectacular views of the town and its historic charm, is what makes A Ver Tavira the perfect spot in the Eastern Algarve. Chef Luís Brito and his wife, who is front of house, are dedicated to providing a quality and memorable meal for all – happily offering alternatives or vegetarian options to their visitors. Utilizing contemporary twists with their locally sourced ingredients is what ensures all the flavors of their dishes are as charming as the views their restaurant offers.
- Belcanto – two Michelin-starred, located in Lisbon.
To conclude our list, a Lisbon based choice from Chef Jose Avillez has been included for a special reason. Influenced by the location and districts in Lisbon, this chef has created innovative dishes utilizing the ‘new and old’ of ingredients and techniques, to result in a menu of dishes that are as picture-perfect as they are delicious. In his own words- “cooking is our very own fado, and our own form of expression”, and this he definitely showcases.
If you fancy trying out Jose Avillez’s dishes, without a trip to the capital, the chef has recently opened a restaurant a little closer to home… right here in the Golden Triangle you will find Tasca at CuaCua in Quinta Do Lago which will be sure to tickle your tastebuds…
Like many aspects of life here in Portugal, the culinary scene offers an experience that cannot be found anywhere else… which is why it is understandable that you would be looking to call it home!
If you are interested in hearing more of the secrets that the Algarvian coast has to offer and want to take a closer look at a few of our private luxury listings then please contact us today, we can help make your dream life in Portugal a reality.